Though I did not grow up in Nashville and I don't live there now, the Music City feels like home to me. To see it underwater is absolutely heart-wrenching.
The magnificent Opryland Hotel, where I have admired Christmas lights for years, is covered in 10-20 feet of water. Nearby, Opry Mills Mall, where I frequently shopped, ate, and saw movies, is entirely flooded.




The famous Grand Ole Opry has muddy water filling its rows. The streets of downtown Nashville are covered in the same muddy water as the Cumberland River crested 12 feet above flood stage last night. Even LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, suffered damage from water covering the field and first few rows of seats. Country Music Hall of Fame, Schermerhorn Symphony, Bridgestone Arena (home of the Nashville Predators), Bicentennial Mall...the list goes on and on! Streets that I drove down daily while in college were shut down days ago and are still underwater. The pictures of familiar gas stations, restaurants, and other buildings are unbelieveable. Thousands of people lost their homes, and 28 people lost their lives due to the storms last weekend. Now, the citizens of Nashville are facing a water shortage, as water treatment plants were flooded, as well. It will take months, perhaps years, to recover from this tragedy.
Thankfully, my friends and family stayed safe and had no property damage. Big Mama, my 103-year-old great-grandmother, had to stay alone on Saturday night because my grandparents, Mimi and Pappy, could not get home to her; however, she was able to take care of herself without any problems.
Though the gravity of this news has somehow evaded the national media, I hope that word is getting out to people far away from Nashville. It may not be on the scale of Hurricane Katrina, but the effects of this flooding on many Nashvillians are certainly comparable. I am still confused as to why a failed bombing attempt is getting ten times more coverage than a major, historical city covered in water.
Despite being ignored, Nashvillians have certainly proved their resilience in the last few days; there have been no reports of looting, and relief organizations are having to turn people away because they have filled up their spots already. My alma mater, Belmont University, is giving employees three days off PAID in order to volunteer throughout the city. These people (and I still consider myself one of them!) truly love their city and each other, and they will work to protect what they love.

p.s. T-minus 24 days 'til M.D.
0 Responses

Post a Comment